Tuesday, October 25, 2005

The Great Laptop Meltdown

A couple of weeks ago, my trusty laptop of over 2 1/2 years, began to act like a stroke victim. Nothing too serious at first. Some strange boots. Some long load times. Then some funny errors. This kept getting worse. I bought a backup drive and have been dumping on and off over the last week. I kept kidding myself that it might have gotten better.

So in the midst of heavy travel, heavy hiring, and all the normal stuff, I am doing the laptop migration. I ended up buying a Sony VAIO. I was leaning towards an IBM T43, but the deal killer for me was I needed three things, USB 2.0, Firewire, and Bluetooth. Unfortunately the T43 didn't have the Firewire which really bummed me out as those machines are tanks. The VAIO is super light and fits my overall Sony life style (Phone, Camera, DV Cam, PSP, TVs, etc.) but it has me worried about durability. I guess I will find out soon enough.

Although I am pretty uptight about the pain it will be to migrate all my stuff, I am excited about a new clean machine with no baggage to speak of. I immediately started deleting all the nonsense that comes shipped with the machine and then downloaded Firefox. Ah, very nice. I set it as my default and start to move tomorrow. I cant wait until we have a Web OS.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooo...a Web OS...now there's an idea whose time has come.
js

Anonymous said...

Ahem, PowerBook has all that. :)

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed you blog about based business home idea successful. I also have a site about based business home idea successful which makes me appreciate this one even more! Keep up the good work!