Sunday, August 29, 2004

Marathon

I think the most powerful part of any Olympics for me is the marathon competition. All of the other events have their drama and history, but the Marathon is timeless. A messenger running a great distance to relay the results of a battle and then collapses and dies. Every time this event takes place in the Olympics I think that it is truly a historical event that transcends the actual running.

Back in 2000, my wife and I completed the Honolulu Marathon. I am not ashamed of the pathetic time that I logged that day, which was something north of 6 hours which I could blame on an improperly cut toenail if you were to believe my excuses. More important to me than the time was the actual finish, which I viewed as a personal accomplishment much greater than my attendance at Mardi Gras, Jazz Fest, The Rose Parade, getting good grades, etc.

On that day, I could really understand what it could be like to run 26 miles, deliver a message, and die.

Congratulations to Athens on a wonderful 2004 Olympics. I really enjoyed it.

2 comments:

tweedledeetweedledum said...

This blog is awesome! If you get a chance you may want to visit this download wallpaper site, it's pretty awesome too!

advertising affiliate program said...

Happy Money Making Famous Quotes.... Waste your money and your only out your money,but waste your time and your out part of your life... Michael Leoboeuf

Inflation is when you pay fifteen dollars for the ten dollar hair cut you used to get for five dollars when you had hair... Sam Ewing

If You Find a need to become part of the advertising affiliate program so you make a few extra bucks.. go to http://7day2success.com/ ....advertising affiliate program...advertising affiliate program....

Live a better life today..