Monday, July 19, 2004

High Speed Cell Networks

I go to LA occasionally and although I love the ease of commuting on the Train, the lack of Internet access can be a pain.  Maybe one day soon I will be able to use wifi.  Over the last couple of weeks I have been using two different phones to see how well they work. 

My Sony Ericsson phone on the Tmobile network does an ok job of retrieving my email.  I have a sick account with Tmobile, with 5000 minutes and Hot Spot access.  So far I haven't gotten a bill for GPRS access so I give this a big thumbs up.  It says I am connecting at like 115 kbs, but I don't believe it.

The other phone is an Audiovox phone using Verizons 1-XRTT network.  This is a lot faster, like 280 KBS, but it doesn't feel all that fast and given that I am mostly using it for email, the cost doesn't seem worth it.

If they can get the high speed networks up to the point of access like the EVDO service from Verizon, and get the cost down to what you pay for a Hot Spot, then I think Wi FI is toast.



No comments: