Friday, July 21, 2006

Google WiFi

Been traveling and have been meaning to post but have been too busy. One quick thing though. I was in SF for a couple of days this week and stayed at a hotel overlooking Union Square. Before I fork over my $14 to Starwood for Ethernet, I like to browse the local wi-fi networks. Once in a while you get lucky. This time what to my surprise on the top but Google Wifi. Nice. It had a great signal but for some reason I couldn't connect and Starwood took my money anyways. It got me thinking a lot about how different things will be when there is broad based availability of free wifi to everyone. Lots of implications and opportunities.

1 comment:

Laurel Papworth said...

OMG I am sooo ready for worldwide wifi. Nice easy-to-use devices permanently connected to the 'net. Not pokey little mobiles with their pokey little screens and lack of enablement layer, but nice luscious screens that can handle real graphics, say gaming and fave tv shows like, y'know, Desperate Housewives. Not that I watch that drivel. :P

Is it true that on American planes, you have hot and cold running internet? So I could spend the 19 hours from Sydney to London playing world of warcraft *cough* I mean, responding to urgent emails and sending reports? o.O