Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Road Trip - Music and Books

I had to head up to work for a meeting and then drive back this evening. Not much time for commentary but the soundtrack today was:

The Bravery - The Bravery: This 80s revival band sound has a CD that has been sitting on my stack of to be listened to CDs for a long while. I had seen it on a number of best of the year lists from last year and have to admit that after a good listen I am kind of bummed that it had taken me that long to get around to it. A definite add to my itunes list.

Sleater Kinney - The Woods
: I love this band. I was turned on to them on their last CD One Beat. This new one continues their unique, awesome punk sound.

Rogue Wave - Descended Like Vultures
: I just started listening to this. Very cool sound but a bit more mellow than my usual taste. More after I finish the full thing.

Books. I am currently reading the The Lost Gospel. When CNN did all this promotion of the discovery of the Lost Gospel of Judas I thought it was news. What I didn't realize was that it was a big PR push for a series of books. Very nice. At any rate this is a fascinating book so far. It chronicles the discovery and the long 25 year trek of the only known copy of this document into the hands of people who actually knew what it was.

Last year with all the Pope mania and my previous reading of the Da Vinci Code I decided that I would read From Jesus to Christianity which was an awesome book. That book gave an interesting history of how the New Testament was written and over what time period that really is worth a read if you are a history buff. It talks about what books made it in and which books didn't. It also gave me a number of laughs when I think about people taking a literal view of the language in theology. Especially as many of the gospels came out of an oral tradition.

No comments: