Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Vacation Epilogue

A good time was had by all. It took me until Thursday but by Thursday, I was really on vacation. I didn't finish my book. I didn't listen to any more music. I didn't blog. I didn't read blogs. I scanned email headlines but didn't respond. It was awesome.

There was swimming, and more swimming. There was a lot of time with grandma and grandpa.

One day I had to drive someone to the train station in downtown San Bernardino. It was kind of bizarre because my great grandmother lived there and I spent a great deal of time at her house and my uncle's house when I was a kid and in my teenage years. Seeing the blight of the area was kind of shocking actually. The area around the train station and the neighborhoods where I had played looked like a neutron bomb had hit and all the business were gone. Pretty weird.

It inspired me to visit my childhood house in Rialto which is five minutes away. I hadn't seen the house in 6 years or so. It looked pretty run down although the neighborhood has changed demographically and I am fascinated by what the future holds for some of these blighted or in transition areas over the next 5-10 years. When I was a kid Rialto tripled population in 10 years resulting in the elimination of all the citrus groves where we played as a kid and their replacement with cheap housing. The area has some really amazing natural beauty in terms of setting with these beautiful mountains as a backdrop but is plagued with scorching heat in the summer and terrible smog.

We had an egg hunt. We took the aerial tramway up to the snow. And then as an added treat we swung by my sisters house and got to spend time with all my family and all the cousins which made it a complete sweep of relatives as Jessica's whole family was with in Palm Springs.

Now I am back but the calm and peace of La Quinta is in my soul.

No comments: