Thursday, February 08, 2007

Casa Moderna

I met this guy while working at Mp3.com by the name of John Diaz. When I first met John I asked myself, "What the heck is this wacky rocker dood doing at a high tech company?" It made no sense to me. Six months later John became an older brother of sorts as I realized he shrewdly understood technology as it relates to content and media and understood how to navigate the relationships at play in the content world. I have had a ton of fun knowing John and Nancy and I really value their friendship.

Because we both are working on new companies, we haven't seen each other in a very long time. In fact, one of the last times I saw John was right after they had bought this amazing lot that was of normal width but extended back in an area approximately three houses back. John told me they had bought this lot to build a home to replace their home in Santa Monica that was a three story Frank Gehry loft. That house was amazing. John had survived a horrible airplane crash while at MP3.com and he needed something that didn't require him to go up and down all the time. As he described this new home, I only could think who difficult it would be to replace their current home.

Today I was in Los Angeles and had a chance to swing by their knew home that was featured in this story in the LA Times. All I can say is insane. You must look at the pictures. This house is one of the most amazing I have seen and John accurately described it as a modern aztec hacienda. I can't wait to go back and actually hang out with John for more than a half an hour. If you are a friend of Diaz and haven't said hi, drop him a line. Oh, and he was on Oprah last week...

No comments: