Tuesday, April 03, 2007

San Diego Breweries

San Diego isn't a place that I think many people would think of when they talk about craft beers or micro brews. When I think of those words I think of Seattle and Red Hook, Pyramid and others. In fact though, San Diego has a great tradition and has some outstanding beers including beers from Ballast Point, Port Brewing and Stone Brewing.

A couple of weeks back a friend of ours invited us to a dinner gathering of a local slow foods group that was being held at Stone Brewery in Escondido. I can appreciate the style of beer produced by Stone, which is really hoppy. Think IPA on steroids. Not my thing as I prefer lagers, pilsners and similar beers, but I get why some people really like that style. I had heard that their brewery was amazing and that it was a must visit. I wasn't sure what it would be like having taken tours from great macro breweries like Rainer and Henry Weinhard's to prestigious craft brewer Unibroue in Montreal.

The Stone facility was simply amazing. This was only outdone by the menu that is out of this world. I happened to miss the tour of the brewing areas but I will certainly be back as soon as I get a chance. If you are in San Diego or visit San Diego, add Stone to your itinerary. How can you not visit a place that makes the Arrogant Bastard Ale?

No comments: