Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Skype & VOIP

Ironically independent of the Google speculation and rumors, I found myself today firing up Skype for the first time since October. I had a call with someone in Europe and have found that a lot of the Europeans I interact with use Skype.

There were some strange echoes and noises periodically but generally it felt like an in stereo conversation. And it was free.

Right after that I had a call with another friend in the UK, who hasn't installed Skype yet. We hadn't talked in a couple of weeks so we spent a good amount of time chatting on my Vonage line for pennies a minute.

These calls were either free, or really cheap and the quality was more than acceptable. I would hate to be a fixed line carrier today.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been doing research on this topic for a while now and I didn't even know some of the information presented in this blog! Thanks for the timely information - I actually have a project due soon and this information will certainly help. If you know of some other good, trustworthy resources, I am looking for content/information on some similar subjects that I might use for future projects. Thanks...cheap calling cards

Anonymous said...

Although there are many online forums on this topic, finding the exact information that I have been searching for was often easier said than done. Unfortunately not all forums and blogs are created equal. I thank you for posting the information that I needed on this topic and will certainly be back for more. Hope to have a cordial relationship through this website. Thanks�phone calling cards