Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Skype & VOIP

Ironically independent of the Google speculation and rumors, I found myself today firing up Skype for the first time since October. I had a call with someone in Europe and have found that a lot of the Europeans I interact with use Skype.

There were some strange echoes and noises periodically but generally it felt like an in stereo conversation. And it was free.

Right after that I had a call with another friend in the UK, who hasn't installed Skype yet. We hadn't talked in a couple of weeks so we spent a good amount of time chatting on my Vonage line for pennies a minute.

These calls were either free, or really cheap and the quality was more than acceptable. I would hate to be a fixed line carrier today.


7 comments:

Jeff james said...

Hello, nice stuff on your site. I need to spend more time on my site about VOIP and other comparison provider voip stuff. Thanks for some ideas.

Anonymous said...

Hey... Interesting post on uk voip. By the way... Just found this resource where you can post your own articles on uk voip - if you have something you want to share with the world. Besides, at the same time you'll get a link back to your own site on anything concerning uk voip - or whatever else you'd like... why don't you check it out for yourself now...

Cape Cod Summer said...

Could any bloggers out there suggest a good site for
articles?

nomorespots said...

I've just found you site after doing research for **Call Free With VoIP**. http://www.callfreewithvoip.com/ is a Voice Over IP (VoIP) resource site that may have further information of interest.

My VoIp Solutions said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a voip site/blog. It pretty much covers voip related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Anonymous said...

I have been doing research on this topic for a while now and I didn't even know some of the information presented in this blog! Thanks for the timely information - I actually have a project due soon and this information will certainly help. If you know of some other good, trustworthy resources, I am looking for content/information on some similar subjects that I might use for future projects. Thanks...cheap calling cards

Voip Victory said...

Although there are many online forums on this topic, finding the exact information that I have been searching for was often easier said than done. Unfortunately not all forums and blogs are created equal. I thank you for posting the information that I needed on this topic and will certainly be back for more. Hope to have a cordial relationship through this website. Thanks�phone calling cards