Monday, October 18, 2004

ChangeThis - Malcolm Gladwell

I was a bit disappointed in the previous version of the ChangeThis newsletter and manifestos. I wasn't really drawn to any and I found one in particular very weak. I was pleasantly surprised to find three of great interest to me this week. Malcolm Gladwell's (The Tipping Point, one of my favorite books of the last several years) piece entitled The Talent Myth was fascinating. If you manage people, or lead an organization this is a must read.

I don't want to editorialize and wreck the story, but it makes an interesting case against hiring the 'best and brightest' and indulging their whims. Instead it makes a strong case that cultures more focused on the systems approach to management and talent are more successful. Think Enron vs. WalMart.

No comments: